Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Part of the Whole

Yesterday the blog I wrote didn't post.  Let me just tell you how advanced I Am. in my mindfulness practice.  I wrote the blog in the morning (it was the first one I wrote that I was unsettled with to start - I figured I had too much coffee...quite frankly I was getting a little too consumed with it all).  I was thinking about it all day and (I'll expose myself here) wondering why no one was reading it.  I met my family for dinner and my brother said 'Hey, couldn't read your blog today it wouldn't come up.'  So I went on to enjoy my time at dinner with everyone.  Okay, well...not exactly.  I was so irritated that the blog was messing with me that I couldn't get my mind off of it (not to mention that Dan ordered for everyone...I think there were four broccoli crowns that made up the entire vegetable offering...and of course everyone was raving about how good it all was....black sheep).  "Yes, young person students...I Am. your helper."  Anyhow, so now I Am. in a much more settled state and hope to write something inspired ('detached from the outcome').  My thought is the idea of a person being part of the whole.  When I Am. in a work setting I rely on a team.  One of the drawbacks when resources are cut from a school is the time available to consult with others.  I can see where this would seem excessive to tax payers.  However, I feel as if what I contribute is helpful and necessary - but not independent of others professional opinions.  One of the persons I worked most closely with was the security resource officer that worked within the school.  So you have social worker (the system is harmful to the individual) and police officer (the individual is harmful to the system) and I would like to say that we were seamless in how we worked with one another (this would also include the school administration and school security).  I respected what they did and they respected what I did.  I like to think that what I brought to the 'team' was a voice of compassion.  Compassion is something that everyone has so when one speaks up from that perspective (and the energy in the room is calm and not resistant) then people hear compassion.  Persons will do their job as it needs to be done under the construct of safety (and a young person who is experiencing psychosis is not safe in a building with 2000 students - they are scared and sick and need the right intervention and care) but they are mindful of compassion.  I never once felt that persons were not right in their heart when we worked as a team...and even when our ideology was different, when we had genuine respect for one another and saw our differences as necessary and that they allowed for a more realistic representation of how the world worked, then the outcome seemed to manifest in a positive direction for everyone involved.  I know of the idea about control and resistance, I can't explain it so well but I know of it:  control will always meet with resistance and the energy that it creates is not one that allows for progress.  The original post from yesterday was called 'The Book Didn't Come First'.  The main idea in the post was taken from one of my coaching analogies.  When I would teach a new skill to the players and they had a hard time understanding the mechanics of it, I would sometimes resort to this helpful (not exactly) comment: 'You know...the book didn't come first.'  I Am. way too broad in my conceptual view of life to be all that effective when it comes to explaining the basic mechanics of anything.  What I meant from the comment about the book is that the game was created and played long before books were written about how to play it.  When we learn to be mindful and aware of the present moment, then play comes from within...a natural ability to be in the moment and aligned with our inherent talent ('in the zone').  I also would (attempt) to offer another coaching analogy in meetings (not always well received in a time restricted setting), 'You know....there are many offenses that can win a game.' I need to take my dog for a walk and get on with my day, so I will let you 'chew' on that one.  Students and persons that are dealing with adversity may just be closer to true consciousness...an awakening to life...it's adversity that forces us to be present - closer to greatness or demise.  When you look at a young person who appears to be beyond intervention, and you consider this idea that that young person is on the brink of enlightenment, it lends an entirely different perspective to the caregiver or provider.  Or any person who may feel in despair faced with an adverse life situation...are we on the cusp of true consciousness?

No comments:

Post a Comment