Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Considering Duality

It's so interesting...the idea that we change when we need to change rather than when we just want to change.  In only the last month (not even) I have run (sprinted) off the high dive (head first) into this pool of social media that I have only really observed over the last...I think it was maybe seven years ago that I recall someone suggesting Facebook to me (?).  Just moments ago I received a message that I was 'followed' on a twitter account that I have not 'tweeted' on (impressed?).  I have created a Facebook fan page, a LinkedIn account, maybe a YouTube account (not totally sure what I got myself into there), and the beginnings of a GooglePlus account (which I'm thinking might streamline all the others - maybe?).  A friend last night suggested that I might consider talking to a 'tech person'...you think?  So, much like all the fun, funny, mind bending powers of the idea of duality, here I am moving forward with a true passion for teaching the skill of mindfulness (and much of the urgency toward the growing need for this skill is a direct result of our preoccupation with technology and yet it's that very same technology that I'm eagerly exploiting as I move my idea forward).  'My idea' is largely complemented by the mass of information I receive so conveniently off the internet - in addition to other forms of media (ie. books!! books!!  more books!!) - speaking of duality, as I read and write my way into social and emotional learning, I am quite aware that the student audience I target often do not read and write well and yet they learn to interpret/create meaning in other ways which I have learned is just as effective and worthwhile, if not moreso in some circumstances.  More on that idea in another post. Anyway, this morning I came home from my doggie walk/run more unsettled than when I began.  So I laid on my bed and found a meditation on my phone to get into a 'better space'.  A modern day Taoist?  If you are already interested in the considerations of mindfulness and other ideas that naturally align with being still, then you may be laughing to yourself because you too constantly notice humorous examples of duality in your own life OR you may be reminding yourself to be non judgmental while your ego is saying 'duh!'.  If you are one who doesn't really consider ideas of duality then just wait...you may subtlety begin to take notice. I just looked up duality on my phone (much like moments ago I looked up judgmental to see if I spelled it right...which is another story) and a simple definition says 'As hinted at by the word "dual" within it, duality refers to having two parts, often with opposite meanings, like the duality of good and evil'.  It has been my experience that many students in the classes/groups I facilitated this past school year (I taught a Problem Solving Skills class at an alternative high school and ran a social emotional skill building group at a traditional high school for students at risk of failing and typically not attached to school) the majority tend to love considering ideas such as 'duality'.  At risk of sounded horribly stereotypical, at times I imagine what students enjoy in 'smoking circles' and my assumption is that they enjoy the insights and considerations of ideas not typically considered when we are in our autopilot mode of the day to day.  My most satisfying feedback from students is when you see their eyes perhaps squint a bit as they look away in an upward direction with a slight tilt of the chin and scrunch of the mouth as they take ownership of their own ability to consider what was shared by the instructor.  Whether they choose to agree or disagree is their decision, but isn't it our job to get them to notice?

Self Reflection questions:

1.  Consider the difference between 'needing to change' and 'wanting to change.'  What would it take to go from simply 'wanting' to 'needing'?  Can a person intentionally change a 'want to' into a 'need to'? Would it allow for different results?

2.  How could practicing stillness (or mindfulness) help one see a need for a change?

3.  Consider duality.  Are you often contradicting yourself?  Are you willing to be vulnerable and accept opposites?  Do opposites create reality?

4.  Is there a space of stillness within that is non dualistic?  (no opposition, no opposing force)

5.  Can peace within be possible in such a fast paced existence?  Can we allow for and create space for 'both, and' as opposed to 'either,or'?

6.  How can one use technology for contemplative practices?

7.  How do you know when you have 'taught'? (see last two sentences)

No comments:

Post a Comment